Tuesday, September 22, 2009

How to kick start your modeling portfolio


Firstly, I'm not a model but I'm glad I have the opportunity to work with outstanding photographers to build up my portfolio.

From young, I've never inspired to be a professional model as I'm not tall and not exactly beautiful. Through networking and friends, I got to know an amazing group of photographers thru social networking sites and personal recommendations.

So how do you kick start your portfolio?

Forget scams "modeling agencies" that charges you few hundred bucks for a simple portfolio and promises to get assignments for you. Very often the makeup artist(MUA) and photographers DON'T do a good job.

Reputable agencies will not charge you a single cent for photographing your portfolio.

I will personally recommend sourcing for good makeover studios or even portraits photographers.

If you do not know how to do your own makeup, makeover studio might be a better alternative as you will be able to get a decent startup portfolio around $200 bucks with makeup and hair-do inclusive.

If you will want to engage an individual photographer, you can either do your own makeup and hair, or engage a MUA around additional $80.

Personally, I paid for my first photoshoot because I've always wanted professionally taken photos for myself and my favorite photographer happened to have a photoshoot promotion going on.

Next I will introduce TFCD / TFP, Time for Print or Time For CD -

Means that the job is unpaid, and the model will receive a CD or print of some or all of the shots taken during the shoot in exchange for her time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment